How Long Should I Expect Soreness After a Car Accident?
It is normal to experience some soreness and pain after a car accident, but you might be wondering, when does the pain become an indicator that something more can be wrong?
Learn about how long you may remain sore or injured after a car accident and discover the treatment options that we may use at Impact Medical Zephyrhills to help you find pain relief.
Car Accident Injuries and Soreness
It is normal to be sore for a few hours to a few days after a car accident. If you are sore much longer than this, this usually indicates lingering pain that is not consistent with typical injuries.
For more serious injuries, you may be sore for weeks to months afterward. However, it is not normal to experience the typical soreness that goes with a car accident for more than 6 weeks after being involved in a fender bender or minor accident.
If you feel residual pain after a car accident, it can be an indication that you sustained a more serious injury.
Remember this: even if you don’t have lasting injuries, you can feel pain and soreness for up to six weeks after being in a car accident due to bruising and stiffness.
Some injuries will take longer to heal than others and may have lasting complications. This is why getting proper treatment and going through a rehabilitation program for injuries is so important.
Is it Serious?
Your injury could be serious if you experience:
- Recurring dizziness
- Blurred vision
- Pain in the neck that makes turning or moving the neck painful
- Back pain and trouble twisting, turning, and crouching
- Tingling/numbness in any area of the body
If you notice any of these symptoms seek medical attention right away.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Here are some of the most common injuries that we often see in patients that have been involved in car accidents.
- Head injuries: Head injuries can be as small as cuts or bruising, a concussion, or as serious as a traumatic brain injury. Head injuries should always be assessed since they can be fatal.
- Back Injuries: Back injuries are common in car accidents due to the rapid jerking motion of a vehicle coming to an abrupt stop or crashing into another car. From pain and soreness to difficulty twisting, back injuries are a common result of car accidents.
- Internal injuries: Though your seatbelt will help protect you, if worn incorrectly, it can cause internal damage. The jerking motion can result in bruising or even broken ribs.
- Neck Injuries & Whiplash: Neck injuries such as whiplash are extremely common in car accidents. The abrupt jerking motion can cause injuries to the top spinal vertebrae in the neck and cause pain and soreness when twisting the neck. Chiropractic adjustments can relieve whiplash pain.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal discs and vertebrae can be pushed out of alignment or twisted awkwardly.
Don’t Wait to Seek Medical Attention
Rather than asking, “how long should I feel sore after a car accident,” you should be asking, “how soon should I schedule a doctor’s appointment?”
Regardless of the severity of the accident, you should always follow up with a visit to a car accident doctor to determine the extent of your symptoms and injuries.
Remember, car accident injuries don’t always manifest symptoms such as pain and soreness until a few weeks after the accident. A swift diagnosis from an accident doctor followed up with prompt medical treatment, can significantly lessen the discomfort you feel afterward.
It is also important to schedule your appointment as soon as possible, as you only have 14 days following your accident to use your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.
Car Accident Treatment
If you’ve been in a car accident, make sure to call our accident clinic at Impact Medical Zephyrhills. Our team of pain specialists and accident doctors will help you heal with chiropractic treatments, physical therapy, massage, pain management, and more!
Call us to schedule an appointment today at (813) 706-5156!